posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default The Joys of Boating

On 24 Mar 2007 13:30:00 -0700, "Two meter troll"
wrote:

Well this one I have a little bit of experiance with; used boat = rip
every stitch of wire out of the boat and re run it all.
In my experiance the problems i have had on most boats have been with
wireing and standing rigging.
standing rig i usually have enough stuff to fix it on hand. but a
short or a loose wire in the bilge etc can cause things to go
gunnybags at the wrong time. most of the electrical is coverd up so
you cannot see what is wired correctly and what is not .

Rewiring an old boat first off would be my inclination too.
20-40 year-old wire, and 20-40 years of hatchet jobs done
to the wiring by "sailors." No thanks! .
Even on a new Mac 26M first thing you do if you intend
electrical additions is toss the stock electric panel and
get a beefier one that fits your needs.

--Vic