Peter Hendra Peter Hendra is offline

Default The average boat owning idiot.

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 17:50:24 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

"Peter Hendra" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 16:08:11 -0600, "KLC Lewis"
wrote:

"mr.b" wrote in message
news On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:14:44 -0600, KLC Lewis wrote:

"Dave" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 14:10:21 -0400, "Wilbur Hubbard"
said:

Any responsible parent names his
child with a good, solid, respectable conventionally spelled name.

Q.E.D.

So is that pronounced "Ked," or "Qwed"?

quod erat demonstrandum

you can look it up, but basically Wilbur's parents have been slurred.

Yah. T'was but a joke, son. The idea being...oh bugger it. ;-)

Are you an "Asterix" fan - Gosginny and Udzero?

Peter H

Wasn't before, perhaps now.

It was the Latin quote that brought it to mind - no I never "did"
Latin.

I am not sure if they are obtainable in the States, but they are an
excellent set of "comic" books describing the adventures of the main
hero "Asterix" and the other villagers of a small group of
"indomitable Gauls" holding out against the might of Caesar's Legions.

Originally written as an educational series for French children, they
have been translated into many, many languages since. They are
certainly not only for children. People of all ages are fans. The
molre you know, the more you will get from them.

Many of the names and much of the conversation are Latin puns. My
sister learned Latin at school and gets far more out of them than I
do. They are amongst our family's favourite books and are read by all
of us over and over again. each time getting something new from them.

The Druid "Getafix" brews a magic potion that gives the villagers
superhuman strength which they use to "bash' the Roman troops. Most of
the series are about the travels of Astewrix and Obelix - a menhir
delivery man about the world.

I know that if you read just one, you would be an addict forever.

Try to get one. You will not regret it.

cheers
Peter