Larry Larry is offline

Default Say, Larry

"KLC Lewis" wrote in
:

I'm working up plans for a VAWT (vertical axis wind turbine) for
mounting on Essie which should give (assuming all goes well) about 10
amps of charging current into the batteries turning at 120 rpm. Should
be very very quiet (virtually silent, actually). The only part of it
that is really unique to my own design is the wind turbine itself,
which is as streamlined as I can make it to reduce drag loss, while
maintaining optimum wind cupping. Don't know if or when it will be
finished, but I'll post progress here if and when it occurs.

The incredibly efficient and simple design of the permanent magnet,
multiphase alternators used by the mountain men on otherpower.com is well
suited to your purpose. A vertical axis turbine directly pulling the
magnets across those sealed coils just above the deck would work
fantastic, if you can keep the turbine from broaching over.

Here's a free patent you might be interested in looking at:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4274011.pdf

Of course, new boat technologies, like S/V "Revelation II" look
promising. This boat sails fastest STRAIGHT INTO THE WIND, something
sailors have longed for for centuries. It's direct drive, but I'd like
to see a more practical use of a large alternator driving high voltage
nanotechnology lithium-ion storage batteries like Toshiba has invented.
The power generated by this slow-turning beast is many kilowatts in even
small winds, I'd bet, not those little turbines boaters curse at. A
blade this large driving a simple PM multiphase alternator the mountain
men on otherpower.com, rectified and stored in Li-Ion quick charging
batteries would give you an immense living power both at anchor or at
sea, with the boat, instead of this direct drive, being powered by
traction motors, like drive electric cars/trains/buses/trucks. It would
be much more versatile than Revelation II....in any point of "sail".
Having power STORAGE in the batteries would also make a docking engine
unnecessary. The power storage would also drive her fore and aft
thrusters for parking...(c;....even if the wind were completely calm.

When you come alongside your homeport dock space, you plug the windmill
into the pedestal, forcing the local power company, under Federal Law, to
buy power FROM the boat, which should offset the dock fees to the point
of a small profit in windy months....(c; Not a bad side effect to an
electric powered boat, either.

Larry
--
Message for Comcrap Internet Customers: