NE Sailboat NE Sailboat is offline

Default Say, Larry

KLC ,, when I was goofing, looking on the net for wind power for sailboats

I found some site that had a web link that showed how to make your own wind
generator for a sailboat.

It only cost about $300 dollars as I recall for the parts etc.

The big negative for me is the size of the blades. According to most of
what I read and looked at, the blades must be fairly large to produce much
of anything in power. One unit I looked at .. the blade was 46" long. That
is almost four feet.

The way I figure it, the bigger the boat, the less of a problem the wind
generator. On a 100' yacht, I doubt the crew even knows the thing is up
there. On a 32' boat, big difference.

================================
"KLC Lewis" wrote in message

"Larry" wrote in message
Jeff wrote in news:icqdnQzyBcVxL5
:

The reason I
don't add wind generating now is that with our recent cruising
pattern, we're often in crowded harbors where the noise would be
anti-social.

"Is my wind machine bothering you? Ok, I'll shut it down and crank the
diesel genset, instead. Waitaminute.".....(c;

Larry
--
Message for Comcrap Internet Customers:
http://tinyurl.com/3ayl9c

I'm working up plans for a VAWT (vertical axis wind turbine) for mounting
on Essie which should give (assuming all goes well) about 10 amps of
charging current into the batteries turning at 120 rpm. Should be very
very quiet (virtually silent, actually). The only part of it that is
really unique to my own design is the wind turbine itself, which is as
streamlined as I can make it to reduce drag loss, while maintaining
optimum wind cupping. Don't know if or when it will be finished, but I'll
post progress here if and when it occurs.