Jeff Jeff is offline

Default The average boat owning idiot.

* Wilbur Hubbard wrote, On 3/22/2007 5:45 PM:

Your entire post is a screed on the virtues of selfishness when it comes
to financial matters. I think any real man would be happy to leave an
inheritance to his children provided his children were worthy of it,
that is. Real men make enough money so they have plenty for their own
pleasure with plenty to pass on to their offspring. It's the right way
to do things.

I suppose it would be nice to "pass something on" but other than a
start on an education and perhaps a little help setting up a
household, I'm not sure I see the imperative. Values are much more
important to pass on, they will serve you offspring better in the long
run.

But, everybody is missing the point which point is not that you should
not buy a boat but that you should not FINANCE a boat.

I don't think that was lost everyone.

Save your pennies
and buy a boat outright that you feel you can afford. Put it on a
mooring and save the dock fees.

That depends - will being on a mooring reduce your opportunity to use
it?

Be responsible and self-insure.

That's not being responsible if you don't have liability insurance.

You will
fine yourself enjoying your boat even more when you realize you have
been responsible about it.

Earn your money first; spend it second. You will find it is oh so much
easier to spend wisely when you earned your money first because they you
will know the value of a dollar the better.