Larry Larry is offline

Default Say, Larry

"NE Sailboat" wrote in news:OhwMh.4762$zN.1202
@trndny03:

Doesn't this make some sense?

What do you think and do you have any ideas?

The solar cell is like a brittle piece of thin glass. If it cracks, even
a tiny one, it's toast. So, they mount them in heavy frames and lose
some power with the protective glass or lexan covers, that absorb some of
the solar energy as it passes through.

Being fragile and the frames quite heavy, I doubt they'd take being
hauled up the mast over and over for very long and they are WAY too
expensive to frequently replace. I'm sure it's being done, though.....

I don't understand why we cannot produce a quite, SLOW TURNING, boat wind
genny. I agree these whirly-bird generators spin way too fast,
generating vibration and noise that radiate from the hull. Why they are
solidly mounted, with no sound deadening is probably about profit.

I see a great UNUSED solution, at the HOME anchorage:
http://www.otherpower.com/20page1.html
You put one of these on top of a piling that you tie the boat to. The
boat would be powered FROM THE PILIING, giving you an almost limitless
power supply at your anchorage, without all those naughty dock fees. Up
above where you tie the boat, like USCG does to the lighted day markers,
a platform with the large battery box and inverter provides the boat with
AC power and direct DC power for use and charging. Of course, this only
works at HOME. But, let's face it, the damned boats spend 90% of their
time at home, anyways. No noise in the boat, at all! These machines
turn very slowly their 3 blades and produce immense power at the wind in
any anchorage....up 30-40 feet off the water.

Why aren't the entrepreneurs renting you wind-powered anchorage pilings
in exotic places? One wind machine could supply many boats, anyplace.

Larry
--
Message for Comcrap Internet Customers:
http://tinyurl.com/3ayl9c