Don W Don W is offline

Default The average boat owning idiot.

Gogarty wrote:
My wife, a former banker, runs the money in this house. She has done very well
and had huge gains in her portfolios back at the peak of the dot com rage. I
could see the bust coming. "Sell all," says I, "and buy a Super Marimu," which
in those days was going for about $500,000. But nooooo....

Well, we can't afford to buy a Super Marimu today and we don't have the stocks
either. We would be way ahead had we bought the boat. And having fun, too.

Saw an article in a recent Cruising World
featuring Joel Potter and a Super Marimu. They
are about $850K new now. Nice boat, but...

We paid 1/30th of that amount cash for our Irwin
38, and it is a nice boat also. Sure leaves a lot
in the cruising kitty ;-)

Seriously, there are a lot of really nice big
boats that can be bought for less than $180K, and
a few really nice big boats that can be bought for
less than $90K. Why would anyone spend that
kind of money on a 54' sailboat unless it was just
pocket change? I'll bet over 10 years they would
take at least a $400K hickey--maybe more. What
are 1997s going for?

Don W.