posted to rec.boats.electronics
[email protected] watcho@ozemail.com.au is offline

Default Ultrasonic wind sensor + Raymarine ST-60

On Mar 22, 2:19 pm, wrote:
On Mar 21, 6:53 pm, "Gordon Wedman" wrote:

wrote in message

oups.com...

Has anyone tried connecting theAirmarPB100to aRaymarineST-60?
I'm wondering if the ST-60 will pick up the NMEA 0183 sentences from
theAirmarand function as if it were connected to a standard wind
vane or whether it actually needs the wind vane sensors.

Seatalk instruments don't pick up NMEA sentences. You need to buy a
converter box fromRaymarineor better, get rid of yourRaymarine
instruments and get ones that accept NMEA.

Ok, I should have been more specific. I have a converter box. The
question is, can the ST-60 display work with NMEA inputs from the
PB100 instead of the actual wind vane sensor. My guess is not, but I
was asking if anyone had tried. Yes, I'm annoyed withRaymarine-
they are like Microsoft in taking a perfectly good standard and
subverting it into proprietary usage to protect their high prices. I
refuse to go to their even more expensive hsb bus instruments.

I am sorry, who has told you that NMEA 0183 is a perfectley good
standard.
Have you ecer tried to share data across NMEA 0183, let me tell you it
is a nightmare.
NMEA 0183 only travels in one direction, it can't share power, and has
a limited number of sentences. Sorry but SEATALK is what NMEA 0183
should've been, just look at what NMEA 2000 is promising 15 years
after Seatalk was invented!!!!