posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default Loading a boat on a trailer; center of balance,..

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 19:28:11 -0500, dazed and confuzzed
wrote:

4300 pounds plus the trailer will be about 500 lbs at 10% tongue weight.

This should be about max for your hitch.

I generally use a scale under the tongue jack to get the final
placement. Start with the center of gravity of your boat (not
necessarily the center of the boat) about 10" forward of the axle. This
will get you close. Then use the scale to get the tongue weight correct.
I'd set it at about 400 lbs tongue weight.

ray lunder wrote:
The new dual axle trailer is coming along. IR now a welder. I could
use some basic math help around figuring out where to place the boat's
center of balance on the trailer. (so I can put the bunks in place) If
it were exactly between the two axles then it would have zero % tongue
weight. Is this correct?

You didn't say the distance from the hitch to the half way point
between the two axles.
Let's suppose it is 15 ft. let's suppose you want 10% of the hull on
the hitch. Then 10% of 15 ft = 1.5 ft
So place the center of gravity of the boat about eighteen inches
forwards of the mid distance between the axles, and measure the hitch
weight.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK