KLC Lewis KLC Lewis is offline

Default The average boat owning idiot.

wrote in message
Net loss of 270K. You pay 27 thousand dollars a year to use your boat
a dozen or so weekends a year. Stupid, just plain stupid!

Think about it.

Wilbur Hubbard

Now Wilbur do the math if the idiot did not purchased a boat.
Show with concrete evidence what happened to the 270K that what not spend
buying and maintaining a boat.

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message
The average idiot buys a boat for say 100K and finances it for ten
years. He fits it out and keeps it in a slip. The fitting out costs 20K,
the slip costs 5K per year, the insurance costs 1K a year. Haulout for
bottom paint 1K a year. Fuel 1/2K a year.

After ten years the idiot has spent 250K paying back the loan, 20K
fitting out, 50K slip fee, 10K insurance, 10K haulout, 5K fuel, oil,
filters, etc.

345K invested in a 100K boat that perhaps can be sold in ten years for
75K. Net loss of 270K. You pay 27 thousand dollars a year to use your
boat a dozen or so weekends a year. Stupid, just plain stupid!

Think about it.

Wilbur Hubbard

As for me and Essie, I paid cash for her (all of $8,000) and have probably
put another $15,000 into new sails, rigging, instruments, anchors and other
improvements over the past 6 years. I pay about $3,000 per year on summer
slip / winter storage. Insurance is about $350 per year. Fuel? I haven't
bought any for years -- I probably burn about $10 worth in a season, since
the motor rarely runs and only burns about a quart an hour. Haulout for
bottom paint? Hauling out happens every October, as close to Halloween as I
can manage. I repaint the bottom, if needed, before splashing in the spring
(one month from today) and isn't an extra expense. But everywhere I've been
where bottom painting requires special haul-out, it happens every three
years or so, and costs about $500. Even if it's a grand, it's not a grand
every year.

What's she worth today? I can't say. I wouldn't sell her for rubies. If I go
broke and bankrupt and lose 'most everything I own, I will still have my
boat which will be my only home. People go to bars and pay $5.00 for a drink
which passes right through them after stealing their brain for a spell. To
me, THAT is a waste of money. Whatever floats y'er boat, mate!