Dan Best Dan Best is offline

Default Four questions from someone new to boating

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
The Tayana 37 is a fine voyaging boat. But, don't credit all her great
seakeeping characteristics solely upon her displacement. It's more a
matter of a good overall design. Usually good vessels have a respected
naval architect who draws the lines and integrates the package.

An excellent point and I couldn't agree with you more.

Check out this comparison between a Southern Cross 31 and a Tayana 37.

The Southern Cross 31 is a fine boat. Another one in that size range
that I like is the Valiant 32 (watch out for those with severe blister
problems though). The Valiant, like the Tayana happens to be another
Bob Perry design. I guess there's just something about his work that
esthetically appeals to me. Having spent the last two years living on
the Tayana, I'd say that there are certainly things that I'd like to see
be done differently, but by and large, the man knows how to design a
functional live aboard. He's certainly not the only one who can do so
(Brewer, Crealock and many others have designs that are just as good).

In my mind, the size question has more to do with how much volume you
need to be comfortable. Not just in living space, but also in storage
space. My wife and I have often fantasized about how nice it would be
to have something a little larger, say about 42' and a center cockpit
(so we could have a nice aft cabin). We note how wonderful it would be
to have all that extra storage space, a separate living quarters for
when the kids visit us that doesn't entail someone sleeping on the
kitchen table, etc.. But then I think of how much more work it is to
maintain this boat than our 30 footer and imagining how much more work
yet a 42 footer would be and I rapidly become again satisfied that the
Tayana is just about perfect for us.

Were I single handing, I think something in the 30' - 32' range would
probably be just about perfect.

Note in particular the motion comfort,

Not to take away from your other valid points, and my memory could
certainly be faulty about this, but I seem to recall reading an article
somewhere written by Ted Brewer (who developed it) cautioning not to put
too much credence in this index.

Take care - Dan Best