Dan Best Dan Best is offline

Default Four questions from someone new to boating

Wilbur Hubbard wrote:
Rest assured that anybody who posts to rec.boats.cruising to get advice
will NEVER cross oceans. Too stupid to ask 1) the right questions, 2)
the right people.

It's unfortunate that you posted such a stupid, irrelevant response. It
completely discredited anything else of worth you might have said.

As far as a response to the original poster's questions, we all have our
opinions based on more or less experience. I happen to think that my
Tayana 37, a moderately heavy displacement cutter makes a great
compromise between the comforts (and costs) of a larger boat and the
tight quarters & uncomfortable motions of a smaller and less expensive
boat for the live-aboard, ocean crossing cruiser. I've done deliveries
of larger boats, but never lived aboard them. I have lived aboard both
my previous 30' coastal cruiser as well as the Tayana for extended
periods and the difference in comfort that the 7 extra feet of overall
length and 14,000 extra lb.s of displacement makes is huge.

Dan Best