Peter Hendra Peter Hendra is offline

Default Four questions from someone new to boating

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:48:02 +0000, Larry wrote:

wrote in news:1174314095.430596.35240
:

b) If I wanted to learn more about boating, is there a book available
by someone who captures what it is like to be at sea, and describes
the pros and cons of boat life?

If you REALLY want to learn about boating, don't buy any books....

Now, what you do is to walk the docks of your local marina and strike up
pleasant conversations with boat owner/captains. Whatever skill you
have, he needs, desparately. Painting, sanding, plumbing, electrical,
diesel engine, heat and air, electronics, rigging, welding, any
mechanical skills will be MOST welcome, and jealously coveted once he
gets to know you better and finds out your are trustworthy, don't drink
up every beer you see and are a great help. Fun to be around is also a
big plus.

Larry,
This is by far the best advice anyone could hear. Congratulations on a
great posting and for taking the time to think about and write these
words to someone you will probably never meet.

Somehow, from reading your postings when I get near the web over the
past few years I had somehow imagined you to be possibly in your mid
forties. Hell! You are two years older than me.

cheers and thanks
Peter Hendra