Paul Cassel Paul Cassel is offline

Default Four questions from someone new to boating

Roger Long wrote:
Capt. JG wrote:

While I generally agree, I think you can substitute "heavily built
boat over 40 ft in length" with a good quality boat over 30 feet.

I second that. Bigger is more comfortable when you don't have to do
anything like handle sails or dock. Once your butt leaves the seat,
bigger is more strain, more work, more expense, higher probability of
hurting yourself.

I went from a 32 foot simple boat to singlehanding a heavy 42 foot one
with every system you can imagine. Docking the 42 in a current such as
in Charleston City Marina was a heck of a chore and worrisome too.

If I do it again, it'll be back to simple and smaller. It wasn't like
the 42 was pleasant in a storm AND single handed reefing of a 450 foot
mainsail wasn't for the faint of heart.

-paul