Default Emergency lightning protection

"Sal's Dad" wrote in message
"Roger Long" wrote...
Like the vast majority of fiberglass boat owners, I'm sailing around
in a boat with next to no lightning protection....

Related question -

I am building an open 20' power boat, of all-aluminum construction.
It will be used in all weather conditions, sometimes for
"time-critical" trips. I have toyed with the idea of shipping a short
mast (boathook?) to disperse any electrical charge, and hopefully
channel any direct strikes along a known path.

Any thoughts?
Sal's Dad

Yes, it's a dumb idea. What you have there is a Faraday cage. If you get
caught in a lightning storm sit or lie down in the center of the boat so
your head is below the gunnels and you will be protected by the Faraday
cage. Erecting a mast will only attract a lightning strike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Wilbur Hubbard