Peter Hendra Peter Hendra is offline

Default Question about International Cruising such as Bahama's, Canada ..

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 23:29:35 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 22:52:13 +1100, Peter Hendra
wrote:

When we sailed to Sdydney, Australia from New Zealand years ago, we
flew the yellow Q flag. I don't think we have flown it since

Local knowledge is a wonderful thing but when in doubt it is best to
go by the book. If you are following all of the rules to the letter
it is much less likely that you will have a problem with rampant
authority figures. Flying a Q flag at the right time is one of those
rules that is ridiculously easy to follow.

You only have to fly it after you enter the 12 mile limit and before
you clear in, not the entire trip.

For those going further afield than the Caribbean and Europe to places
where bribery and baksheesh are rife such as Indonesia, Sri Lanka and
Egypt, make it a rule to never pay bribes, baksheesh or "presents". In
Indonesia for example cruisers with Caits (cruising permits) usually
attest to being asked for a large monetary "presents" or additional
fees before being given back their papers. When passaging the Suez
canal it has become customary to give cartons of Marlborough
cigarettes or American dollars to the agent, the pilot, each pilot
boat that swaps over the pilot and so on. So much so that the canal is
oft refered to as "The Marlborough ditch" and "The greenback ditch".
Unfortunately Americans are making it worse and raising the stakes for
everyone else by giving greater and greater amounts. Possibly your
ready aquiessence is due to your custom of tipping at home whether the
service be good, bad or mediocre. Many big ships also have to make the
gifts. One Turkish captain told me of having given away a large box of
cartons and when he reached Suez, he balked at given a carton to the
small line tender vessel that was about to secure him to a mooring
buoy.

Following his refusal, the small boat's engine refused to start. The
crew calmly produced a set of oars and commenced towing the large ship
to the buoy under oar power alone. Only when the ship was in danger of
drifting aground did the Captain give in and threw down a carton. The
stakes went up. Now they demanded two. They got them. Instantly the
motor on the tender fired and the ship was secured.

My approach has been to always refuse, no matter what the temptation
is to give in. I merely say that I don't pay bribes as it is expressly
forbidden by the Prophet, and, when in Moslem countries, quote the
following verses from the Q'uran:

"He who gives a bribe is cursed"
"He who takes a bribe is cursed"
"And he who acts as the middleman, is doubly cursed"

I have always found that they back off straight away. The official may
be a crook and never attend the mosque for prayers, but I have always
found that they have an ingrained respect for someone who they believe
is a religious man - rather like the Christian (and most other
people's) respect for Catholic nuns.

Examples of this were that of the three yachts measured for fees at
Suez at the same time, ours was the largest, yet we paid under half of
what each of the other two paid. At Ismalia (half way point and
overnight stop), where other yachtees were bribing the police at the
gate so that they could get subsidised diesel ($US 0.06 per litre)
from the gas stations instead of paying the marina price, I paid
nothing and the officer even got one of his men to organise the taxi
and lift the jerry cans on board whereas others had to carry theirs
from the gate.

Universally, I find that when approaching an official, it pays to
smile and extend your hand to be shaken together with a verbal
greeting. This puts you in command at the outset.

You don't have to be a Moslem to use this technique. They won't know.
We come in all colours, shapes and sizes (please note that I have not
mis-spelled "colours". That is the correct spelling).

Peter H