Peter Hendra Peter Hendra is offline

Default Emergency lightning protection

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 23:06:00 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 22:22:25 +1100, Peter Hendra
wrote:

It is rather scary being the tallest
thing for miles of ocean when you see lightning ahead.

You bet. Lightning is fickle however. We were halfway to Bermuda
once, over 300 miles offshore when we got hit with a ferocious thunder
squall. The boat was a perfect target, all aluminum hull with an 85
ft mast. Lightning chose to hit a wavetop about 100 yards away
instead of us. We still lost all of the electronics except my pocket
GPS, just from induced currents. The pocket GPS was an early model
and hasn't worked in years now, but I still keep it around for
sentimental reasons. :-)

As it is so fickle, I've often thought of sacrificing a chicken to
Poseidon. Once, not having a real live chicken, I threw a tin of
chicken spam overboard. It was rusty and looked unsafe for us to eat
but the God didn't appear to notice it as the lightning didn't touch
us. Anyone know what Poseidon prefers?