Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default Emergency lightning protection

It sounds like I was on the right track,

How important is a really low resistance connection? I have a spinnaker
track and fitting at about the right height. Is a special fitting really
necessary at these high voltages or would a large snap shackle in the ring
do with the cable passed around the mast a couple times first? (Insulation
removed over the last couple feet).

Similar question about chain which would be much easier to stow than a big
sheet of copper. Lots of surface area and, with salt water helping to carry
current from link to link is seems like it would work. Wouldn't the solder
on the copper sheet vaporize in the first milisecond?

It sounds like nothing is going to do anything but tip the odds slightly in
your favor. I don't have a big investment in electronices. My only aim is
to be alive in something floating after a strike, even with major damage.

--
Roger Long