Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Question about International Cruising such as Bahama's, Canada ..

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:02:59 -0400, "Ansley W. Sawyer"
wrote:

I have sailed into Canada a few times both on the Great Lakes and the Gulf
of Maine (NB and NS). I have also sailed into the Bahamas, the Virgin
Islands (British and US), Martinique, Guadeloupe, St. Lucia, St. Vincent,
and Grenada.

The flag thing is the easy part. When entering a foreign port you fly the Q
flag from your starboard spreader to indicate that you are quarantined and
that no one can come aboard or leave the vessel except the skipper to go to
check in. The skipper goes to check in with the customs and the immigration
authorities on behalf of his vessel and his crew. When the proper check in
has been completed the Q flag is lowered and a courtesy flag is raised in
its place. The courtesy flag is a miniature version of the national flag of
the country checked into. When your visit is completed then you need to
check out of the country and lower the flag as you leave.

That just doesn't seem quite ceremonious enough
No piping customs aboard, or gun salutes?

--Vic