WinXP

Default Propeller rotation - important? - Yes, it is.

On 07 Jun 2004 10:48:32 GMT, (JAXAshby) wrote:

ah, you just might wish to remember that the prop MUST push against the prop
shaft which pushes against the thrust bearing to push the boat forward. Got
to.

In other words, the thrust bearing takes 100% of the horsepower developed by
the engine. That is a lot. In forward.

There is also a thrust bearing needed for going in reverse as well. However,
as the horsepower used in reverse is much less and the time it is used is
hugely less the reverse thrust bearing need not be anywhere near as big.

Now, change the prop so the former reverse thrust bearing becomes the new
forward thrust bearing and operates at 100% power over extended time the
potential to trash that bearing becomes very real.

Most people forget that the prop has to push against something to push the boat
forward. That something is the thrust bearing.

Yes, all these things are right ones.

Question is: How has been designed (engineered) the Thrust Bearings Box ?

(sorry I don't know its English code-name)

Our ones are designed and manufactured with a couple of Heavy-Duty Taper Rolling Bearings, # 322xx, a couple of Rubber
Seals for Lube and Water Cooling devices.

Used in Clam Dredgers working in Reverse... they are tailored to be operating in both directions.

Heavy-Duty Bearings in Forward and Light-Dutry ones in Reverse were used times when Bearings were very expensive... but
actually it is a "poor" spare, requiring different machining on both sides, double the Stocks of spares on shelves and
aboard.

But they could be till existing...

Glad to have meet someone involved in Technical matter.

I'm a newcomer in this NG but I will visit it at least once a week.

I hope to have some interesting questions to put to NG attention.

Thank you for your time,

WinXP.