sherwindu sherwindu is offline

Default Cruising through the Keys and Western Bahamas

Supplies are a premium in the Bahamas, so make sure your fuel and water tanks
are
topped up before crossing. Stock up on any non-perishable foods, as well.

It's been years since I completely traversed the Intercoastal Waterway. In
those days,
you could take the channels with a 4 to 5 foot draft. If you are carefull about

using the tides to help, you should travel the trickiest parts at about half
tide on a
rising tide. That way, if you go aground, the rising tide will help to get you
off.
You have to be very watchful to stay in the dredged channels, especially near
the
cuts, where strong currents can throw you on to the shallow banks. There
is no waterway in the Southern Keys below Spanish Channel, but some nice
anchorages
on the ocean side. There are several good cruising guides. Although a
bit dated, the Pappy book on both the Keys and the Bahamas were quite useful to
me.

I did not find Bimini all that interesting, but it is the gateway to better
cruising in the
Berries, Nassau, or the Abacos. Grand Bahama also had little appeal to me, but
could be used as a stop on the way to the northern Abacos. I found the smaller
Keys more friendly and interesting. If you like natural settings, the Exumas
have a
lot to offer. Abaco, although a longer sail, has many interesting places to
visit.

Be wary of choosing your weather in the Gulf Stream crossing. The winds clock
around clockwise, so don't leave on an Easterly or Northerly wind. The effect
of
those winds against the strong current builds up monstrous waves.

Hope this helps,

Sherwin D.

" wrote:

Hi,
I am going cruising on a sailboat through the Keys, Bimini Islands and
hopefully Grand Bahama Island. Does anyone have any recommendations on
places to go to and explore? I am on a tight budget unfortunately.
Thanks in advance!!!