Rosalie B. Rosalie B. is offline

Default Cruising through the Keys and Western Bahamas

" wrote:

Hi,
I am going cruising on a sailboat through the Keys, Bimini Islands and
hopefully Grand Bahama Island. Does anyone have any recommendations on
places to go to and explore? I am on a tight budget unfortunately.
Thanks in advance!!!

What is your time frame? Keep the hurricane season in mind.

The Keys are not cheap, nor are the Bahamas in some respects. Fuel is
expensive, marinas are expensive (We almost always go to a marina when
we can.) and you will need to purchase water in many places. Where
you can go also depends on the size of your boat, particularly the
draft.

If you go first to Bimini, it is hard to anchor in the harbor, and you
will need to check in which costs some money depending on the size of
the boat.

If you go first to Grand Bahama, the west end is quite expensive.
Lucaya is not only cheaper, but also is more convenient to various
things.

If you don't go to Bimini, you can check in at Chubb but that's
another expensive place, but from there you can go to Fraziers Hog Cay
and get a mooring relatively inexpensively. There are moorings near
Key West and in Boot Key Harbor but at some seasons they may be full.