Bill Kiene

Default Old merc, water not ****ing out...

Hi Chris,

I inherited a 1972 20hp Merc a few years ago.

I took it to a local Merc dealer that is noted for the fine mechanics. I had
them check it all out. They tuned the motor, put in an entire water pump
unit ($120) and service the lower end. It ran perfect after all that. ~$300
total.

Something like a spider had made a nest up in my water spout on another old
motor so I put a small piece of wire up there while it was running and it
all blew out.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA, USA

Web site: www.kiene.com

"Chris" wrote in message
.. .

Hello,

I've recently started into a new project on an older boat, and have been
examining the motor. Today I had it started and running briefly when I
noticed that from the pee hole where water is suppose to shoot out,

instead
it was just dripping ever so slow.

This motor has been out of water, and sitting for much of the last 8 or so
years. Its a 72 80hp 4 cylinder. The guy I bought it from says that

likely
the impeller needs to be changed as it would have dried out... Would that

be
correct? Any ideas? The motor was perfect when it was last used 8+ years
ago...

I don't want to run it too much until the water gets figured out. From

what
I'm guessing without looking into too much detail yet, I have to take the
lower end (gearcase) off to get to this impeller.

Cheers