posted to rec.boats.electronics
Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Circuit Breaker Trip Amps

On 7 Mar 2007 16:48:09 -0800, "GeoffSchultz"
wrote:

Can someone define what the "trip amps" on a breaker means? I have a
20A breaker that has a Trip Amps of 27A. I'm running a breaker right
at 20A and it's tripping after several minutes. I just increased it
to a 25A breaker, but I'd like to understand what "trip amps" means.

It's not a good idea to run a breaker at maximum current for any
length of time. Sooner or later they will trip out as you have
discovered. Breakers that have tripped frequently tend to age in my
experience and begin to trip below their rating at some point.

With #10 wire you should be fine with a 25 amp breaker.