chuck chuck is offline

Default Antenna for my Kenwood R-1000 receiver?

ray lunder wrote:
Hello America and ships at sea,.. I just got a Kenwood R-1000 receiver
and I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of antenna I could rig up
for it. Can I clip something on to the stainless steel backstay and
expect to get a signal? I'm watching the other ssb thread that
suggests you can get a weather fax from it too. Thanks as always.

Hello Ray,

Sure, you can try the lifelines, the backstay, or a random length of
wire you have handy. Try them all. See which works best.

The downside of that sort of antenna is that it is likely to pick up a
lot of unwanted noise as well as signals of interest. Of course, at sea
the noise issue will be less. If you find reception is poor with these
antennas, you can always use an antenna resonant at the frequency of
interest (hopefully you won't have more than one or two of these) or you
can use a simple antenna tuner. For reception only, the tuner can use
very small and inexpensive components.

Keep in mind that we're at the bottom of the 11-year sunspot cycle and
high frequency propagation can be pitiful at times.

Chuck