posted to rec.boats.building
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default kayak hull repair

MGC wrote:

I am looking for some tips for refinishing the hull on my older Valley
fiberglass kayak. The gelcoat is heavily scratched as well as cracked
in many places. I talked to someone a while back who did a lot of
fiberglass and epoxy work who recommended using epoxy instead of
gelcoat to re-coat the bottom of my boat. Does anyone have experience
doing this? I am planning on sanding down the gelcoat to get a smooth
base. Any thoughts on the how well the epoxy will bond and work with
a gelcoat base? How about a good application method to get a smooth
and even finish?

Sand the existing gel coat.

Repair any holes, dings, etc with epoxy putty (epoxy & micro-balloons).

Apply high build epoxy primer with a roller.

Sand out as required between coats.

Apply 2 part L/P with a roller, tipping with a brush as required.

My guess is that by the time you are done, you could buy a new kayak,
scrap this one out, and be ahead of the game.

Lew