posted to rec.boats.building
MGC MGC is offline

Default kayak hull repair

I am looking for some tips for refinishing the hull on my older Valley
fiberglass kayak. The gelcoat is heavily scratched as well as cracked
in many places. I talked to someone a while back who did a lot of
fiberglass and epoxy work who recommended using epoxy instead of
gelcoat to re-coat the bottom of my boat. Does anyone have experience
doing this? I am planning on sanding down the gelcoat to get a smooth
base. Any thoughts on the how well the epoxy will bond and work with
a gelcoat base? How about a good application method to get a smooth
and even finish?