posted to rec.boats.electronics
Peter Bennett Peter Bennett is offline

Default 6V Meter on 12V

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 10:44:18 -0600, (Sunset
Sam) wrote:

Sorry about the lack of information in my original post Matt. This is a
volt meter, and all I want to use it for is to monitor the condition of
my battery when there is no charge being applied to it.
This old meter has a screw where I can adjust the full scale landing
position of the needle/pointer, so I don't think I need anything real
complicated to accomplish what I want to do You mentioned a resistor,
and if that will get me close in the ballpark I can fine tune the meter
with that adjustment screw from there.

That screwdriver adjustment is really a "fine tuning" adjustment to
allow you to set the meter to read zero with no voltage applied - it
will likely have very little effect on the full-scale reading.

A series resistor equal in value to the internal resistance of the
meter should double all readings - that is, the meter would read 6
volts with 12 volts applied to the resistor/meter combination.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca