Dell Dell is offline

Default Whale watching in New England

"NE Sailboat" wrote in message
news:9wIHh.20969$tf.4799@trndny06...
With the cans floating in the water and the Just Married sign on the
transom ?? Might be against the mammal act.

"Roger Long" wrote in message
I'm thinking a fun thing to do this summer might be to take the boat out
to Stellwagen Bank or other whale spots. It would give my crew and
guests a taste of offshore life and be an interesting quest.

Has anybody done this in a sailboat? I'm wondering things like whether
public sighting reports are available, probability of seeing anything,
etc.

--
Roger Long

Was up there last summer, Stellwegen is a giant buffet for whales. The
humpbacks were working as teams to concentrate the fish. Saw at least 50
Humpbacks in 30 minutes, also saw some Fin Whales. Re the type of boat we
were in a 36" Silverton but it doesn't really make any difference (power or
sail) they will come right up to you and sometimes even go under your boat
(a little daunting). Bring your camera, you won't need a long lens. While we
were there a Woods Hole OI boat was going up to them and attaching radio
transponders, they didn't seem to be much bothered.