posted to rec.boats.building
Meindert Sprang Meindert Sprang is offline

Default Glues, etc.

"Peter Hendra" wrote in message
Hi Meindert,
Agreed in principle, but..... I built my yacht triple diagonal over
stringers with resorcinol before sheathing it with glass cloth and
epoxy. Where I couldn't clamp the first layer to the stringers I
screwed them down through a block of waste wood and removed the screws
later - thus no gaps.

The OP asked for simple boatbuilding and wanted to lay beads of glue or
fillets. That sort of boatbuilding doen't work with resorcinol glue.

Also, epoxy has no sheer strength.

Que? I have made many joints with epoxy, and many of them even unclamped. I
have also deliberately tried to break epoxy joints in al sorts of ways and I
have never ever been able to break the epoxy. At all times, the wood around
the seam broke. In my book that means that epoxy is stronger than wood.

Meindert