posted to rec.boats.building
Ian George Ian George is offline

Default Opninion on Bottom Painting Prop and Shaft

Brian wrote:
Propspeed sounds interesting. Do you still use zincs with the shaft
and obviously you have to keep a section of the shaft clear of the
stuff if you do. I would like to hear more about it from your
experience.

Well, we applied it to the shaft and prop, then installed the zinc as usual
over the treated shaft. I can't add much else at this point, it's only been
on for six months, and no growth or barnacles yet, be more interesting to
review it in another 18 months or so.

I will say that the vibration from the driveline has been reduced to the
lowest levels ever since we applied this gear. I believe the atntifoul used
to flake off inconsistently and slowly increase the vibration under power,
always surprising how the smallest things can make a difference. Admittedly
before the jast haul I had a crop of crusties and some growth there so the
difference from motoring in to the yard and motoring out was impressively
significant. I must say things have not deteriorated noticeably to date, in
itself a recommendation imo.

Ian