Bob Bob is offline

Default wooden liveaboard

On Mar 7, 5:02 pm, "KLC Lewis" wrote:
Bob,

If a boat is built of 12,000 pounds of wood and 1000 pounds of epoxy, what
would you call it?

Thank you for a question instead of useing this as an oportunity for a
slap down. For me, and this is only a very personal opinion although
shared by a few others, I would call that 12K boat: a bunch of wood
cobbled and stuck together with glue. I certainly would not call it a
wood boat. For me, and I must stress the word me, a wood boat is just
that.... wood..... wood that breaths. Wood when areas of operation,
intended use, availible resourses determine materials, design, and
craftmanship.

For me a wood boat is mechanicaly fastned not held together with glue
and embalmed with plastic.

A wood boat alows mosture to migrate in and out. And when not doing
what a boat does best: float in water. Will shrink and start to pull
appart.......... just enough to calk the seams again. That is if it is
a carvel type, what the Limys call a clinker, and not a lap strake
design.

Call a vessel made with a 12:1 ration of wood to epoxy a wood boat as
well as call thoes Pergo Floors... Wood Floors. Just be cause its
shinny and the picture looks like wood dont make it so. In fact lets
just callem what they are......... Pergo boats. You heard it here
first!

Hey NE Sailboat, when ya gonna get that nice pergo boat in the water
before she starts to pull apart? What, oh thats right plastic dont
shrink do it.

Bob
Owner of a 26,000lb GRP boat. As seen in Clasic Plastic.
And loving every blister shes got.