NE Sailboat NE Sailboat is offline

Default Whale watching in New England

Hey Jeff ,, he can go on down to Walmart and see a whole pod of em. I'd
start with the beauty aids department. Usually a couple of Sperm whales
swimming about in that department.

Then, move to toys. The young whales like to gather over there.

For a real treat, head to the gun rack. You are garanteed to see a few big
males thrashing about.

As Roger heads out, he must stop at cd's, movies, and electronics.

Roger will see whales of every ethnic group in cd's.

Now is the time to check out sewing material. The whales here are very
docile, you can pet them.

Ok ... time to head past photo, toward the check out line.

Wow... look at those whales. And they are carrying large amounts of
plastic!

On the way to the car, keep a sharp eye for the elusive lazy blue eyed
mosters. They can be spotted smoking in very old
cars with the engine on.

There ya go. Anytime of year is a good time for whale watching at the
Walmart.

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
* Roger Long wrote, On 3/7/2007 7:02 PM:
I'm thinking a fun thing to do this summer might be to take the boat out
to Stellwagen Bank or other whale spots. It would give my crew and
guests a taste of offshore life and be an interesting quest.

Has anybody done this in a sailboat? I'm wondering things like whether
public sighting reports are available, probability of seeing anything,
etc.

Watching whales up close from a small boat is rather stressful. I've done
it a few time, but if you want a really good view, get a mooring at
P-town, and pay the pros.

However, with a bit a luck and nerve, and a telephoto lens, you can get
shots like these, three years ago:
http://www.sv-loki.com/Whales/whales.html

Last year (forth and fifth pics) we went through several small groups.
Unfortunately I only had a small pocket camera with me:
http://www.sv-loki.com/Summer_06/summer_06.html

Perhaps you could make the trip down to P-town. You'll pass through
several prime whale spots, and if you don't find any you can take the
tour. Cape E is a long day from Cape Ann, and then its another day over
to P-town.