Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Whale watching in New England

* Roger Long wrote, On 3/7/2007 7:02 PM:
I'm thinking a fun thing to do this summer might be to take the boat out
to Stellwagen Bank or other whale spots. It would give my crew and
guests a taste of offshore life and be an interesting quest.

Has anybody done this in a sailboat? I'm wondering things like whether
public sighting reports are available, probability of seeing anything, etc.

Watching whales up close from a small boat is rather stressful. I've
done it a few time, but if you want a really good view, get a mooring
at P-town, and pay the pros.

However, with a bit a luck and nerve, and a telephoto lens, you can
get shots like these, three years ago:
http://www.sv-loki.com/Whales/whales.html

Last year (forth and fifth pics) we went through several small groups.
Unfortunately I only had a small pocket camera with me:
http://www.sv-loki.com/Summer_06/summer_06.html

Perhaps you could make the trip down to P-town. You'll pass through
several prime whale spots, and if you don't find any you can take the
tour. Cape E is a long day from Cape Ann, and then its another day
over to P-town.