NE Sailboat NE Sailboat is offline

Default Oh, Canada

Roger ,, what company are you with now?

Did that company make you get a survey?

If I am reading this right .. ??? ,,, you know me. You have insurance but
it does not cover a trip to Canada. Is that right?

Does this mean that you have insurance but while in Canada you are not
covered? So, you would be covered up till the point
you cross the Canadian line. [ what do they call it on the water, border,
etc? ]

Seems weird that your insurance can't be adjusted, such that you would be
covered while over in Nova Scotia.

The insurance industry is out of whack. I would think someone like you
would be a good risk.

It said in the paper this past week that the insurance companies did very
well this year. No hurricanes in Florida or elsewhere.

The Katrina thing put them back though. The politicians want the insurance
companies to cover losses that are not covered by the
policies. I saw one on the news where these two policemen wanted their
house covered, it was flooded. They said it was wind damage. What a load
of bull. The house was underwater after the flood in New Orleans.

Why didn't they have flood insurance? Oh,, they said they forgot to get it.
Sure ... sure.

But the pols wanted them covered and a corrupt judge in Lousiana [ corrupt?
Lousiana? .. your kidding Tom ] said oh sure,, they should be covered.

Now... you and me and everyone else is paying for this nonsense.

"Roger Long" wrote in message
It's not looking too good for getting to Nova Scotia this year.

I got forced out of aviation by the constantly tightening noose of
insurance and I can see the early signs of the same processes at work when
talking to agents about the necessary insurance. The hurricane losses and
the propensity for people doing boneheaded things in expensive boats have
got the underwriters turning the screws.

There's no question that I can get the insurance but another survey and
significantly higher premiums put the cost up to where it seems pretty
steep for a week or two of cruising. I'd hoped to spend most of the summer
along the Nova Scotia coast but it now looks as though I'll have too much
going on with work to do that. Canada will have to wait until next year
when I can justify the insurance cost with a couple months of use.

It's not a huge disappointment though. I wanted to go east since I've seen
most of New England over the years. However, I have a new cruising partner
who has not and showing her Maine more thoroughly and leisurely (after
all, you could spend a lifetime on this coast) with some trips down to the
Cape to swim in warm water and visit old haunts will be pretty nice.

I contacted insurance agents suggested in response to a posting here as
well as some others. It was pretty discouraging to have a couple of them
tell me not to give up my current insurance if at all possible because I
might find it impossible to get insurance soon on a 1980 boat. The
underwriters are evidently using age as a primary criteria for squeezing
down their total insurance exposure to a level they are comfortable with.
It seems crazy because my boat is a lot more solid than most of the brand
new ones I see. It may be just economics. It costs them the same to
service and administer the policy for my $25,000 boat as one of the new
quarter million dollar daysailers that probably get used twice a season.
At ten times the premium and less usage exposure, it makes sense for them.
From what I'm hearing, it's going to be very hard to get insurance for
1980 vintage cruising boats in a few years.

Other things I learned.

You do not want to have two policies covering the same area. If you do
have a claim, you have an excellent chance of winding up with nothing
because the two companies will point fingers at each other forever. Some
policies will even let them deny a claim if you have other insurance that
you have not disclosed to them. So, keeping my current inexpensive
insurance that lets me sail as late in the year as I want and buying
another policy for Canada is not an option.

The one Canadian company I spoke to said they could not insure a US
registerd yacht unless it is in Canada permanently. This was after
questioning their underwriters so would probably apply to all companies up
there.

--
Roger Long