NE Sailboat NE Sailboat is offline

Default wooden liveaboard

Bob .. strip plank is Strip Plank ..

No, it is not lap stake.

Seriously,, if you don't know the difference between a strip plank and lap
stake constructed wooden boat ...

Your not ignorant, just uninformed about wooden boats.

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 7, 6:10 am, "NE Sailboat" wrote:
Wood strip construction is strips of wood, say 2" by 2" which is screwed
together as it is assembled on the frame of the boat. The strips are
also
screwed to the frame. Because you are using smaller pieces of wood than
carvel, no bending [ not much anyway ] and the strips are butted tight,
so
no big seams to fill.

is this what some people call "Lap Strake"

Check out the West System site. When Gougen [ spelling?? ] first got
started in epoxy, I believe they used the epoxy with strip plank.

Yes, good book . I bought one in 1982.

I am no expert but I think cold molding uses larger wood such as a
plywood
layed across another piece of wood.

that is one way. the G bros describe using cedar vener about 4"x 1/8"
Basically making your own plywood.

then there is what I hear called strip construction. common on a canoe

To your statement about epoxy and wood .. and the Ugh word.
Do you paint your wood? Would you paint your wood if you have a wood
boat?

just the outside. on my old sprit sailed swampscott sailing dory
(Chappell) I used turpintine-linsed oil- pine tar.

Epoxy is a good covering, better than paint. Both seal and protect.
Epoxy
does it better.

now that statment opens a can of worms im sure some would debate. It
all about intended use.

I think you need to do some reading on wooden boats. Your ignorance of
the
subject is evident.

My dear poster. Did i call you ignorant? Did i even suggest that you
were stupid?

Diffrent regions use similar words to describe diffrent things. in
this case boat construction.

from my humble experince I would use epoxy on a plywood bottom. But
never on a 58' carvel planked bottom.
but I guess you forgot to detemine what we were actually talking about
before deciding to call me ignorant.

GFY