posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Cleverly Brian Cleverly is offline

Default Awlgrip-Painting textured surface??

Joe Bleau wrote:

The ceiling of my boat is textured gelcoat. As I read the Awlgrip
instructions they seem to insist on preparation which would destroy
the texture. Can I not simply wash and deway according to their
instructions, followed by a sound scuffing with an abrasive pad,
followed by a wipe down, followed by either brush or roller
application?

All suggestions appreciated.

Joe

Joe,

For years now we've used a no-sand primer as the tie-coat for painting non-skid
and there is no reason it wouldn't work just as well on an overhead.

It works excellently and we've never had a failure. Our primer of choice is
Pettit 6999 Bottom Prep. The Interlux version also works well.

The primer is very thin and will not fill the texture. While to some it might
seem overkill to use a 2 part LPU as the top coat it is actually a good choice.
LPU is also a thin paint and will not fill the texture like most 1 part
enamels (Brightside/Easypoxy etc.) will.

If you use the Pettit, the initial coat of top coat will tend to a grey color
but that will disappear with a second coat.

Brian C