posted to uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising
Rosalie B. Rosalie B. is offline

Default Tilley Wick

Larry wrote:

Derek Moody wrote in
:

Not enough can be said for NOT squirting explosives into the intake
of a small, LIGHTLY MADE diesel engine. DON'T DO THIS! Notice it
says not to do this right in the manual!

We appear to be talking about engines big enough to require starter
motors, I agree that tiny one or two cylinder jobs wouldn't like it (I
said a cautious squirt and into a fast spinning engine but you snipped
that bit.) With a really small engine hand cranking to help the
starter is a much better idea.

Read someone else's reply to my paragraph about GM 6-71 and 8V-92 large
diesels being overhauled. Ether starting is very hard on ANY diesel.

You said that there was a big difference, but didn't explicitly say
which one was worse or in what way.

Larry