posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bjarke M. Christensen Bjarke M. Christensen is offline

Default Firmware update on Garmin 292

OK, I'll try to unpack the zip file first.

Bjarke

"Jack Erbes" wrote in message
Bjarke M. Christensen wrote:
Looks OK in the device manager.

Mapsource can see it as "USB data card programmer" (when you either
receive og send to "device"). And I cane erase/up- and down load to the
chip from within mapsource. I guess that proves the device drivers are OK
??

Yes, that seems to.

It DOES NOT show up as a removable disk. Should it ?

I can't remember if it should or not. The memory in new Garmin GPS
receivers and the memory cards in slots in the GPS show up that way. I
don't know if the cards in the USB programmer do too or not.

I've tried to uninstall/re-install and run thye executbale zip *several*
times ...

Do you have winzip so that you can extract the files from the download?
That download file is an archive with five files in it.

When I run the GPSMAP292_290_USB.exe files, winzip opens, shows me the
contents of the archive, and it wants to extract the files to a c:\garmin
folder. The download contains five files:

Gsd22_02w10.txt
program_card.exe
gsd20_0230.txt
gsd21_0230.txt
GMX9X_0290.txt

So you need to get those extracted to a folder and run the
program_card.exe file. Here are the upload instructions from the
GMX9X_0290.txt file:

Upload Instructions - USB Card Programmer Update

Instructions for uploading the new software using a USB Card Programmer:

1. Download the appropriate self-extracting archive file onto your hard
drive.

2. Unzip the files in the archive by running the downloaded executable
file.

3. Make sure a USB Card Programmer is connected to your computer, and
that a data card is inserted into the programmer.

4. Change to the directory in which you unzipped the files, (i.e.,
C:\GARMIN), and run the update program, program_card.exe. Select "Card
Programmer" and click "OK" to begin the software upload.

5. Remove the data card from the USB Card Programmer. Make sure that
your GPS unit is powered on and insert the data card into the unit.
Highlight the "Update Software" button and press the ENTER key to begin
uploading the software to the unit. During the upload, the display will
indicate "Software Update Progress". The upload process will take up to
10 minutes to complete. When the upload is completed, the unit will reset
itself and turn on normally.

Jack

--
Jack Erbes in Ellsworth, Maine, USA (jackerbes at adelphia dot net)
(also receiving email at jacker at midmaine dot com)