posted to uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising
Peter Bennett Peter Bennett is offline

Default Tilley Wick

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 11:48:05 -0500, "Ted Bell"
wrote:

If I've read it right a diesel compresses the air to a very great
extent. The compression heats the air so much that fuel self-ignites
when injected into the hot air. Even if it's very cold it's my
understanding the compressed air is still hot enough to ignite the fuel.
So it seems to me if the fuel doesn't ignite maybe it's because it's so
cold and thick that the injectors don't spray it in properly. Maybe just
dribbles of larger droplets that are reluctant to burn. So heating the
injectors seems like it would take care of that problem. Sort of the
same principle that a pressure diesel stove uses to pre-heat the fuel.
Meths don't burn all that hot so although it might blacken the paint I
can't see where it would damage the injector. I think I'll give it a go.
. .

Thanks to all who responded.

I'm Ted Bell!

I don't think heating the accessible parts of the injectors will do
much good - the nozzle is deep inside the head, and the body of the
injector passes through metal immersed in the cooling water, so very
little heat will make it to the injector nozzle.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI Vancouver BC, Canada
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca