posted to uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising
Larry Larry is offline

Default Tilley Wick

"Ted Bell" wrote in news:eshhk2$mji$1
@aioe.org:

Even if it's very cold it's my
understanding the compressed air is still hot enough to ignite the

fuel.

As long as there is proper compression, you're absolutely right. Test
the compression on a COLD engine, not hot, to see if it has enough
pressure on ALL cylinders.

So it seems to me if the fuel doesn't ignite maybe it's because it's so
cold and thick that the injectors don't spray it in properly. Maybe

just
dribbles of larger droplets that are reluctant to burn.

Well, this sounds good but is very hard to achieve. If diesel fuel is
NOT properly "winterized" by mixing it with light elements, WAX CRYSTALS
form in the diesel fuel making it impossible to pump. It doesn't
"thicken", it turns to a SOLID! You can heat the whole fuel system and
keep it from waxing up. In boats, the problem is the cheapskate sailors
use so little fuel, they only buy it in SUMMER when it's not winterized,
which costs the fuel companies extra money. Winter comes, the tanks are
full of unwinterized diesel he "saved" by not burning it. It turns to
wax in the cold and the engine won't crank as it has no fuel...the fuel
system blocked by the wax until Spring. He's ****ed and needs someone to
blame.

What he SHOULD have done was to burn the tank dry before it got too cold
and refilled it in the Fall with WINTERIZED diesel fuel, which doesn't
turn to jelly in the cold. Cheapskate didn't. Hell, he never fills his
tanks and has water ingestion problems, too, storing it 1/4 full. Oh,
the WATER in the tanks he never fills ALSO causes fuel starvation as IT
freezes in the tanks, filters, low points of the lines, etc....another
problem easily fixed.

So heating the
injectors seems like it would take care of that problem. Sort of the
same principle that a pressure diesel stove uses to pre-heat the fuel.
Meths don't burn all that hot so although it might blacken the paint I
can't see where it would damage the injector. I think I'll give it a

go.

No, because he can't pump solid fuel into where the heated pump is as
it's waxed up in the lines. The cure is WINTERIZED DIESEL FUEL,
available after a certain date in that area. His tanks have summer
diesel fuel in them full of wax crystals....cloudy on cool days, solid on
cold.

Please don't light any open fires in the engine compartment with the
battery fumes, ok? We don't need any MORE excitement on boat newsgroups
than the usual groundings....

Larry
--
Have a little fun in the checkout line....
Ask the nearest American, "Did you see the ICE