posted to uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising
Derek Moody Derek Moody is offline

Default Tilley Wick

In article , Cerumen
wrote:

"Ted Bell" wrote in message
When it's very cold I have a hard time cranking my diesel. I was wondering
if I put Tilley wicks saturated in meths around the injectors and lit them
if it would warm up the injectors enough to vaporize the fuel better.
Anybody ever try it?

No but I have warmed a reluctant deisel with a blow lamp before now, heat
inlet manifold and then crank. Another tip is to cover, if you can, the
inlet port which can make the engine spin a lot faster, remove the blockage
and inertia helps to start it.

Usually easier and less likely to cause problems - pull the 'Engine Stop'
decompressor for a second while the engine builds speed/inertia then
release. This sometimes gets you going if the batteries are a bit low. A
cautious squirt of ether can help too but mustn't be overdone.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/