posted to uk.rec.sailing,rec.boats.cruising
Rosalie B. Rosalie B. is offline

Default Tilley Wick

"Dennis Pogson" wrote:

Ted Bell wrote:
When it's very cold I have a hard time cranking my diesel. I was
wondering if I put Tilley wicks saturated in meths around the
injectors and lit them if it would warm up the injectors enough to
vaporize the fuel better. Anybody ever try it?

I'm Ted Bell!

Perhaps a hot air gun would be safer! If you are on a mooring of course you
have fewer options,

We use block heaters for our diesel cars. I've also heard of just
using a light bulb under the hood. It depends on what "very cold"
means to you. Maybe a solar panel connected to the engine block
would do it.

The truckers do something similar with their engines - I think they
use ether or something.