posted to rec.boats.electronics
Electricky Dicky Electricky Dicky is offline

Default general boat wiring?

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 10:12:13 GMT, Bozo wrote:

Chuck Tribolet wrote:
Why would it burn out? Burn outs happen from high current. You don't get high
current from loose connection, you get low current.

"Electricky Dicky" wrote in message ...
Ring terminals, hooked blades, bootlace ferrule or spade connectors,
IMHO if the terminal comes a bit loose you have probably got a burn
out on the connector and wire end anyway!

Loose connection gives you high resistance, so ALL the voltage drop is
across your 'bad' connection. So even though the the current will
reduce because of the higher resistance, most of the power will be in
the joint.

So if the current falls to say 2 amps and 12 volts drop is at the
connection then using W=IV we will have 24W. This is more than my mini
soldering iron.

And JohnW wrote
Arcing/sparking or otherwise generating heat due to a higher
than normal connection resistance.

Thank you gentlemen, you beat me to it.

On the subject of "tight screws" IMHO the European metric "relatively
fine thread" allows tighter terminals (of any sort) than the US
threads! Stand by for flack! ;-)

--

Richard

Nb "Pound Eater" Parkend G+S
"Governments are like Nappies, they should be changed often."
(For the same reason)