RJSmithers RJSmithers is offline

Default Help - cleaning a monitor

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 13:06:32 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"JLH" wrote in message
news
How does one clean an LCD monitor. One site said to use a damp cloth
(water) but no cleaners. I tried that, but ended up with streaks on the
monitor.

Any ideas?

Note: I may one day put this monitor on my boat. (Whew!)

90-whatever percent isopropyl alcohol. It's what's used to clean them when
they're manufactured.

According to the manual that came with my NEC Multisync, alcohol is
verbotin.

I am told that the monitor will absorb any chemicals you apply, and will
screw it up big time. According to all the web sites I could find they
agree alcohol is a NO-NO (also known as "verbotin")

According to some experts they recommend:
from About.com
Keep your LCD monitor clean with these steps:

Turn off the computer and display
Use water only to dampen a lint-free cloth. Do not spray liquid directly

on the screen Wipe the screen

You may also use a mild glass cleaner that contains no alcohol

or ammonia, available at most office supply stores. Apple has tested a
product called Klear Screen and found it does not cause harm to plastics.

http://lifehacker.com/software/lcd/h...tor-179659.php

This may have been common sense to many of you, but I'd been putting

off a much-needed clean for a while because I didn't want to destroy the
beautiful, mysterious screen. Since my instinct was to use some rubbing
alcohol or glass cleaner (boy was I off!) to get the job done,
I'm very glad I checked beforehand. Alcohol on your monitor can cause
damage
to the coating and dry out and crack the plastic. You can use mild,
non-alcoholic
detergents (and Apple does endorse one), but I'll probably stick with water
for now