posted to rec.boats.electronics
Paul Paul is offline

Default Portable Gps/Plotter with AIS-Receiver Support

"Flemming Torp" fletopkanelbolle2rp.danmark wrote in message
. ..

"Paul" skrev i en meddelelse

SNIP

I swore I wouldn't do this, but if you would like a copy of my PPC
program, I would be happy to send it to you

It is very kind of you, but I don't think it is an good idea. My level
within this field ("IT-IQ"100) is not sufficient, I'm afraid, and I would
hate bombarding you with silly questions about the installation and use of
your programme. As much as I'm keen on getting an application like the one
you have developped, I would prefer to purchase a documented system
available on the market with hot line supporters, that are paid to provide
service to the customers ... Might be my English is pretty primitive ...
but I do not have severe problems reading English

I have to think that you've made the proper decision here.

As to my PPC: Geee ...err ... I don-t know! It is a pretty old and
inexpensive model, and in the beginning I used it in my car running
Navigator. On the back it says: Medion MD2910 ... Model MDPPC 100. The
screen size is 5,5 cm by 7 cm ... ;o) ... In pixels: Sorry, I don't have
the faintest idea, and I don't know where to find this information.

No big deal here, I'm just curious as to what is out there in the real
world. I will look your unit up and see what I can find. My PPC has a
640x480 pixel display, and even this is smaller than I would want to use for
viewing charts. It's better than the typical hand-held GPS, though.

The following is a response to your other mail regarding PPC/laptop/AIS:

So far I have been thinking about using my PC and the flatscreen visible
from the cockpit, only when I "needed" help with the navigation at the
tiller (could be under difficult weather conditions, difficult navigation,
heavy trafic, in fog, at night or the like) ... Normally, I just use the
chartplotter at the navigation table in the cabin and the paper charts in
the cockpit, plus I can alway get my position from the GPS - may be, I
have entered a route, so I can get more information from the ST60
instruments (XTE, DTW, BTW etc.) visible from the tiller ...

What I find really useful at the helm is a compass, a chartplotter display
for harbor and other close work, and the radar (displayed on the
chartplotter screen), the autopilot controller, and the depthsounder
display. The rest (speed, and wind) are also good to have at the helm, but
less critical. If I had only one chartplotter I would probably keep it at
the navstation, though, and being visible at the helm through the
companionway would then be a great idea.

When I was reading about your applicationon and use of the PPC, I was very
inspired, and began to think, whether I could get the same advantages in
my situation ... I know, that the PC and the monitor are very "hungry for
amperes", and they are limited on my boat - even if I plan to increase the
battery capacity (it's a 34' sailboat) ... I fully agree, with your
comment in your other helpful mail about power consumption: "but for me,
the power drain of a continuously-running laptop was enough to push me to
my current PocketPC / laptop / chartplotter hybrid system." This is
exactly my thinking ... The Laptop is mainly for special situations, but
the chartplotter and other instruments will run most - if not all - of the
time when I'm sailing

I feel that we are beginning a transition in our nav instruments. I really
prefer the user interface of a dedicated chartplotter (for the chartplotter
and radar functions), like the stability of the chartplotter software (but
the PC stuff keeps improving here), and appreciate the lower power
consumption. The capability, flexibility and upgradability of the PC
solutions are make them extremely attractive, though.

If I could have the image of the chartplotter - preferably supplemented by
the AIS information right at my hand in the cockpit - I feel that is
something "nice to have" ... I know, the PPC display is not good in
daylight, I know it is very smal, I know it does not like water at all, I
know I may loose it ... but still: I think it could be usefull as a second
source of information, now, that my chartplotter does not support AIS ...
and there is an AIS engine in the mail ...

Unfortunately (in this context), my charts are C-Map and Maptech and none
of my existing applications support AIS: RNS and Offshore Navigator and
the Danish software package. Then Pacal recommended SOB, that I have tried
on my notebook - and it is OK with my C-map charts ... Time will show, how
it will run the AIS application, when I get the gear ... But SOB does not
run on the PPC, as far as I know ... Maptech has an PPC application ...
but no AIS support ... And I'm afraid, I do not have enough energy to
learn one more navigation application ...;o) ... You could argue, that
then I'm not motivated enough ... and that would be a fair statement ... I
do have so many other projects on my boat, that I would give higher
priority ... As far as I can see, the challenge is to find at package,
that will use my existing charts and support AIS on a windows based PPC
... I have already spent quite a lot of money on charts, and I find it
prohibitive to invest in one more set of charts only for the PPC for the
waters in which I am sailing ...

So, I think, I'm back to square one ... Thank you so much for your help,
Paul. It has been most interesting, and I have learned a lot about this
subject ... and I certainly liked your report on AIS observations with
illustrations from the SF area ... This is exactly he information, I would
like to be able to see from my place at the tiller ...

To quote an ex-president, "I feel your pain." We've got so many options,
and very few "obviously correct" answers. I often become trapped in
"analysis paralysis" -- only to be forced to finally make a decision before
I think I'm ready. In hindsight, it usually works out fine. There is a
saying I like: "Good Enough is Perfect" -- meaning don't waste your time
searching for the ever-elusive perfection. Pick something that works for
you and get on with your life. Occasionally I even follow this advice.

I will continue to follow this newsgroup. One day, I hope, there will be a
solution, that does not cost a new cockpit monitor/chartplotter ...

I hope you keep us informed about your progress. I quite enjoy these
discussions, as I usually learn something, and they help me clarify my own
thinking.

Regards,
Paul