posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default replace mainsail halyard

* Charlie Morgan wrote, On 3/1/2007 5:38 PM:
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 16:43:53 -0500, Jeff wrote:

* Charlie Morgan wrote, On 3/1/2007 2:45 PM:
You're the one adding all the extra steps, after Jeff told
him exactly what to do.

On many boats, you either have to cut off the splice/shackle end or
use a messenger wire from the other direction.

There can certainly be a variety of different setups. However, this
touches on an interesting question: Which is better, splicing on the
shackle, or tying it? My preference is for tying, using a stunsail
tackbend (buntline hitch) which will cinch down on the shackle and
hold it tight. The knot takes up little space, while a splice could
potentially get jammed in the sheave. Also, with a knot its easy to
"end for end" periodically.

I may consider that idea the next time I replace a halyard. Do you find the knot
gets in the way at times when trying to use a shackle key?

Nope, but I have a fairly large shackle.

I have a number of
halyards that are all clipped to a mast ring when not in use. That might add to
the crowding there, as well.

It might.

My other question would be the relative strength of
a well done splice versus a well tied knot. I tend to think the splice would be
stronger.

A "well done splice" is generally stronger than a knot, but its easy
to see that a knot is well tied, but its harder to tell if a splice is
well done. I've seen more splices fail than knots.

The real question is "How much strength is needed?" I think halyard
tension is well under 1000 pounds, while the strength of the line with
a knot is probably 5 times that.