posted to alt.sailing.asa

Default replace mainsail halyard

"Dave" wrote in message
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 15:48:52 -0500, katy
said:

the messenfer line is better
in some respects becasue then you're not passing an increased width of
line through the roller at the top. On some boats, any increase in
width will cause a jam up there and then you'll end up going up the
mast
anyway...also, if you have internal halyards like ours, the whole
operation goes smotther using a messenger line..we just use that cheap
stuff from WallyWorld...more cord than line, but it's strong enough
not
to break under tension and slides over things ..

Haven't replaced any halyards on my boat yet, but I did have to
replace the
in-boom reefing lines a couple of years ago. I laid the old and new
lines
end to end and, joined them with duct tape, then seized over the duct
tape
to keep it in place, and pulled the new lines through using the old
line as
a messenger. Worked like a charm.

All this talk about line. Real sailors use trouble-free wire. C'mon get
serious about your boat. Wire lasts almost forever and it stretches less
than fiber halyards for better sail shape and control It has less weight
and windage aloft and can be spliced to a tail of line if you prefer to
handle line.

Wilbur Hubbard