posted to alt.sailing.asa
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default replace mainsail halyard

* Edgar wrote, On 3/1/2007 3:36 PM:

What a lengthy argument about the simplest of jobs which I have done many
times!
You _must_ use a messenger line unless your boat is very small because it is
very hard to sew two fullsize ropes together with a strong joint that will
not bulge and jam in the sheave at the top. Also Jon's suggestion of tape is
a no-no because as the new halliard is hauled up there is every chance the
whole thing will come unstuck and you will lose the end and then you will
have to get yourself hauled up on the spinnaker halliard to reeve the new
one or drop a 'mouse' down (if the halliard runs inside the mast). My mast
is 50' high and by the time you have hauled 50' of rope up to the top the
weight on the join is quite substantial and the additional tug as the joint
goes over the sheave may prove to be the last straw.
The messenger line can be quite small because synthetic line is very strong
and this enables you to use a sail needle and incorporate it into the old
rope in such a way that it will stand very considerable force. Take a bit of
trouble over this and save yourself a big hassle.
I have four halliards going to the top of my mast and like to take them down
periodically and put them through the washing machine. Cleans them and
softens the rope which may have developed stiffness due to stress and time.

Each to his own on this. Although I've used messengers on occasion,
I've seen them jump off the sheave and get jammed. There is little
problem sewing the ends of two halyards together, it won't take any
additional diameter. A couple of turns of duct tape makes sure it
stays fair, but I admit I'm always concerned that it would come off at
an inconvenient spot.

I guess I'll have to present these questions to my friendly rigger to
find out what he does.