posted to rec.boats.electronics
Paul Paul is offline

Default Raymarine RL80CRC

"Larry" wrote in message
"Paul" wrote in
:

Speaking of thread drift, I see you reminescing about KMI elsewhere.
I used to copy KMI and KPH when I was trying to work up to a ham extra
license. I never made it past 18WPM reliably, so I only have the
advanced ticket (wb6cxc). I still drive by the KMI and KPH antenna
farm, and there are still lights blinking on top of the KPH poles (out
on Pt. Reyes).

No more code test, now! Go memorize the stupid questions to the Extra
test and get the "No Code Extra". Wee don need no steenking CW enny mo'!
Ham radio has joined the 20th (not 21st) Century! I moved up from
Advanced I'd had for 20+ years during that little timeslot between when
they dropped the 20wpm code test and when they changed Extra tests to
more questions than it used to be. I always wanted a "real" ham call to
replace the just AWFUL KN4IM FCC issued me with Advanced. Try to get 20
people you know to write down KN4IM, correctly, only repeating it on HF
less than 5 times, without getting the N and M all mixed up. My current
call is for my hometown here in Charleston, SC. W4CSC....a great vanity
call. It even has a nice swing to it on CW..(c;

Go upgrade. Lots easier now.....sorta like getting a GROL instead of a
1st Class FCC ticket used to be.

73 DE W4CSC K

I am considering the upgrade, but I might want to keep the old call. WB6CXC
isn't a great one (better in CW than on phone), but I've become used to it
over the last 30+ years. Also, it's kind of neat to hold two obsolete
licenses: the Advanced ham, and my 1st Class Phone. OK, the 1st Phone is
expired, but I still have the certificate somewhere (like new, never used).
I sort of like Morse code, but I agree it is an anachronism now. I haven't
made a CW contact in perhaps 15 years, and the only Ham work I do is when I
am at sea, with the Pacific Seafarer's Net, or the occasional ham contact.
During the last trip I just used the marine bands and the satphone.

73, Paul